Saturday 20 April 2013

Colours & Fonts

Colours
Getting the colours right in web design is a crucial part of producing a website and when this isn't done properly it can ruin a website. (See post on bad examples of web design) In order to make sure I do not fall into that category, I have used two websites to guide me into selecting the right colours. Obviously there is a level of opinion involved in this, e.g. some people may think it's too bright, too dark etc. however without researching existing websites and understanding colour, it is impossible to produce a professional looking website.



This website taught me that low contrasts between font and background are harder to read and depending on your background colour contrast can be improved. The highest contrast you can have is black and white and the lowest is light yellow and grey.



Both of these websites have been useful in picking the right colours, which has been quite challenging due to my target users being children. I wanted the pages to be bright, colourful and gripping without clashing and being uncomfortable to look at.

Fonts:
When I started looking at fonts I wanted to use 'Robot-Like' science text to relate to the logo and overall theme of the website. I downloaded some texts from http://www.dafont.com/ that I liked and started asking for feedback on what others thought.

The majority of feedback I received said that they were too grown up for my target users and didn't add anything to the theme of Global Village. They said to avoid a complicated, science, techno font and keep it simple, clear, yet fun. This was the font I decided on; Hobo Std, because its clear yet the slight twists and bending in the letters make it fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment